Is Amazon delivery safe from Coronavirus?: Faced with a global pandemic unprecedented in modern times, online deliveries around the world are under siege. As more people work from home and self-quarantine during the coronavirus pandemic, online delivery is starting to look pretty appealing. And when we think of online deliveries the first name to pop-up our heads is Amazon. But is Amazon delivery safe from Coronavirus?
Delivery of Groceries/ Food/ Other items from Amazon?
As per Dr. Ian Williams, “The virus is not likely to be transmitted by food itself”. He is the chief of the Outbreak Response and Prevention Branch of the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, which investigates food-borne and waterborne illnesses.
Williams also said in an information webinar “This really is respiratory, person-to-person. At this point there is no evidence really pointing us towards food [or] food service as ways that are driving the epidemic.”
The US Food and Drug Administration echoed that sentiment. Says that it’s not aware of any reports suggesting Covid-19 can be transmitted by food or food packaging.
Delivery of non eatable items: The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) said on its website. “In general, because of poor survivability of these coronaviruses on surfaces, there is likely very low risk of spread from products or packaging that are shipped over a period of days or weeks at ambient temperatures,”
“Currently there is no evidence to support transmission of 2019-nCoV associated with imported goods and there have not been any cases of 2019-nCoV in the United States associated with imported goods,” the agency added.
The WHO also noted tests showed coronaviruses “do not survive long on objects.” Some experts said exposure to UV rays and heat would kill the virus.
Safety precautions while accepting online deliveries:
- If the app offers a no-contact delivery option, use it – The prime reason for self-quarantine is social distancing. Try to avoid meeting the delivery person at the door.
- For pre -paid orders, Ask the delivery boy to leave the parcel at the door/ window, stairs.
- For COD orders, wear a mask to avoid direct contact and accept the order.
- Try to keep minimum distance of 6 feet.
- After accepting the order, sanitize or wash your hands properly.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.